The following information is related to the subject of psychiatric nursing for nursing review.
DEFENSE MECHANISMS coping mechanism from stress
- DISPLACEMENT Your boss yells at you, you yell at your subordinate.
- SUBLIMATION setting anger into something more productive and putting all energies into schooling Example. Mad at life, pour anger in singing.
- DENIAL “I am not” an alcoholic!
- DISSOCIATION psychological flight from self. Amnesia. Ex. Rape, trauma
- REGRESSION RETURN to an earlier developmental stage
- FIXATION stuck in a stage of development
- REPRESSION unconscious forgetting
- SUPPRESSION conscious forgetting. Avoidance. “I don’t want to talk about it. I don’t want to remember it.”
- RATIONALIZATION uses “because”. Has illogical reasoning. “I drink because I don’t want to lose the beer in the refrigerator..”
- REACTION FORMATION plastic. Doing opposite of intention.
- UNDOING show true feeling and color then feel blameworthy after.
- IDENTIFICATION models a specific behavior from a certain role model.
- PROJECTION blame other people, pass load to others. Looks for a scapegoat. “Not me, but for them.”
- INTROJECTION find another person’s trait as your own.
- CONVERSION repression. Anger turned inward to herself. Converted to physical symptoms.
- Sensory numbness. Motor-paralyzed, tremors.
- COMPENSATION weaknesses of the person, overachieve to cover a defective part.
- SUBSTITUTION when you replace a challenging role with a more accessible one. Ex. Wants to go to Disneyland but can’t stand it. Went to the Enchanted Kingdom instead.
MASLOW’S HIERARCHY OF NEEDS
- Basic physiologic needs food, air, shelter, water, and clothing
- Safety and security
- Love and belonging
POST-TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER
Accident, rape, warzone, disaster, and trauma.
THOUGHT PROCESS DISTURBANCE
- LOOSENESS OF ASSOCIATION topics have a connection but no thought. “I am going to the mall. The mall is in
town. The town flies. Flies are here.”
- FLIGHT OF IDEAS New unrelated topics. “I am going to the mall. Where is the light? I treasure this
- AMBIVALENCE Pulled by 2 opposing forces.
- MAGICAL THINKING assumes he has magical powers.
- ECHOLALIA repeats what is said. Parrots.
- ECHOPRAXIA repeats what you do. Repeats what is seen.
- WORD SALAD combines words that don’t rhyme.
- CLANG ASSOCIATION uses words that rhyme. “Flank, blank, prank.”
- NEOLOGISM creates new words, not in the dictionary.
- DELUSIONS false belief. Grandeur I am a queen/ king/millionaire. Persecution NBI out to get me!
Ideas of reference They talk and write about me!
- CONCRETE ASSOCIATION pilosopo. “What will you wear tomorrow?” “Clothes!”
- HALLUCINATIONS ILLUSIONS (with stimuli)